SCA COFFEE SKILLS PROGRAM
SCA Coffee Roasting Intermediate & Practical Exam
Master and refine your roasting techniques, learn about the essence of roasted coffee quality, improve your tasting skills and earn certification from the SCA! Interested in roasting? Starting or expanding a roasting operation or seeking employment as a roast master? This course is specifically designed for coffee enthusiasts and professionals who seek expert training from renowned industry specialists.
Roasting Intermediate (3 day intensive course): takes your coffee roasting skills to the next level. We immerse you in a series of hands-on training exercises and cover these and more topics:
- Develop and execute roast profiles
- Through tasting understand the impact of color, time, and temperature on the flavor of coffee
- Gain an understanding of roasting plant operations, safety, and workflow
- Explore environmental and regulatory issues
- Execute sample roasting protocols and use sample roasting equipment
- Perform cupping evaluations of green coffee & finished products
- Undertake important physical measurements for evaluating green and roasted coffees
- Develop a hands-on understanding of Rate of Rise (RoR) and roast development time and percentage
- Observe and taste sensory and chemical changes of coffee beans during the roasting process;
- Implementing protocols for consistency and for continual quality improvement;
On the final day you will take the SCA Intermediate Roasting practical and written exams.
Save significantly and sign up for the comprehensive 5-day SCA Intermediate Roasting Combo, consisting of:
- Introduction to Coffee (1 day)
- Roasting Foundations (1 day)
- Roasting Intermediate (3 days, this course)
The course provides a solid introduction to the roasting profession, both from a theoretical as well as from a practical point of view. We allow for sufficient one-one-one interaction with the lead-trainers. This course is also designed for aspiring coffee professionals who wish to become SCA certified. Marcus Young and Willem Boot will personally share many valuable roasting tips using their extensive track record and professional expertise. The fee represents savings of more than $400 if these course elements are purchased individually.
The course will be at the BOOT COFFEE CAMPUS at 619 Lindaro Street, San Rafael, CA (just north of San Francisco). Our instructors.
Introduction to Coffee (1 day): US$495 (Register for this course separately)
Roasting Foundations (1 day): US$495 (Register for this course separately)
Roasting Intermediate (3 days): US$1295
Roasting Foundations + Roasting Intermediate (4 days): US$1695
COMBO Introduction to Coffee + Roasting Foundations + Roasting Intermediate (5 days): US$1995
All courses include lunches and lecture materials.
Hotel Information: Hotels in Marin County can be booked online.
Boot Coffee Purchase policy:
All sales are final. Course fees are not refundable. If you need to cancel, course fees can be applied to future courses or another person can take your place. For all changes, we will charge a change fee of 25% of the course price. Changes are not possible less than 7 days before the course.