SCA Sustainability The Coffee industry is facing risks in all sectors ranging from climate change to market pressures. In order for coffee to survive, everyone working in
The Coffee industry is facing risks in all sectors ranging from climate change to market pressures. In order for coffee to survive, everyone working in specialty coffee must embrace Sustainability as a core value.
SCA Sustainability provides students with a core understanding of sustainability generally, and more specifically what sustainability to the coffee value chain. Students will develop a common vocabulary and understanding of sustainability, with a focus on economics, the environment, social issues, and the connections between them.
At the Foundation Level, students will learn the terminology that is key to understanding sustainability, review the history of sustainability in coffee, and explore key sustainability challenges at each step in coffee’s value chain. Students will begin exploring the complexity and trade-offs to current sustainability initiatives and practices, and access and understand tools available for those working in sustainability.
No matter where you work in coffee’s value chain, from coffee farmer to barista to each step in between, this course is designed for you. At the end of the course, you will be prepared to:
- Understand the complex challenges related to sustainability
- Identify some ways to best implement solutions
- Articulate broad sustainability challenges at different points in the value chain
- Discuss possibilities for sustainability solutions and best practices at various levels of the coffee value chain
- Explain the trade-offs of different sustainability projects and practices.
*Our courses typically begin at 9 am each morning and finish each day between 5 and 7 pm depending on the progress of students in each course.
(Tuesday) 9:00 am - 5:00 pm