SCA Sustainability The Coffee industry is facing risks in all sectors ranging from climate change to market pressures. In order for coffee to survive, everyone working in
The Coffee industry is facing risks in all sectors ranging from climate change to market pressures. In order for coffee to survive, everyone working in specialty coffee must embrace Sustainability as a core value.
SCA Sustainability provides students with a core understanding of sustainability generally, and more specifically what sustainability to the coffee value chain. Students will develop a common vocabulary and understanding of sustainability, with a focus on economics, the environment, social issues, and the connections between them.
The Intermediate course takes the broad concepts of sustainability introduced in Foundation and asks students to analyze and interpret a variety of unique sustainability projects. After completing the Intermediate level, you will be able to
- articulate your unique ideas about defining and measuring sustainability and sustainable development in order to better understand and assess the major issues facing specialty coffee.
- Gain exposure to different sustainability approaches in the value chain, with a firm grasp of the defining issues in at least two parts of the chain most relevant to the student
- Have a more detailed understanding of collective action and what platforms exist to collaborate, leverage resources, and share results
- Understand and be able to articulate how progress on sustainability initiatives is measured and defined in a variety of contexts
- Be able to assess case studies and sustainability research
- Develop a plan to move forward on a sustainability initiative within their own organization
**Our courses typically begin at 9 am each morning and finish each day between 5 and 7 pm depending on the progress of students in each course.
5 (Wednesday) 9:00 am - 7 (Friday) 5:00 pm